nba jerseys,
Just over a year ago I retired early from work. For most of my working life I have been involved in education. Many years were spent teaching Biology at various schools. More recently I was course manager for a medical Access Course at a large Further Education College in London where I also lectured Biochemistry and Human Anatomy & Physiology to mature students.
Since retiring I have had extra time to spend on my recreational interests. I would like to share these activities with you as such hobbies and pastimes are extremely fulfilling. Having more time to indulge myself now compared to the past has enabled me develop my knowledge and skills. Although I like many sports including badminton, football, rugby and cricket, my main interests lie elsewhere. One interest in particular gets me outdoors while the other occupies me when the weather is cold and keeps me busy indoors.
I started fishing at the age of about 12 when I accompanied a group of boys to the Grand Union Canal at Denham. Using crude tackle and not knowing what I was doing, within 30 seconds I had caught a perch. I was ''hooked'' on fishing for life from that very moment. My fishing stories, experiences and catches are much too long to detail here but an outline follows.
During my teenage years I did various local fishing trips with school friends using basic but reasonable tackle. In my late 'teens' I borrowed my dad's car at every opportunity and tried unsuccessfully to return it free of mud and without various fishy pungent odours. At that time split cane rods were in common use and fibre glass varieties were just coming onto the market. Seat boxes were made of wicker and the reels were mainly centre pins. The newer fixed spool reels slowly came into common use but it was still some years before bait-runners, electronic bite alarms, hair rigs, high-tech fishing line, carbon-fibre poles and rods were invented. Bait innovations like boilies and bait boats were also not yet in use.
Many readers will not be familiar with the tackle details mentioned above. This does not really matter. The point is that over the years I have enjoyed being out in the countryside in beautiful surroundings observing the wildlife and have spent many hours in pursuit of wily fish. I have had more than my fair share of experiences of the ''one that got away''.
Returning to my fishing history, over the years being married with children only caused temporary interruptions to my life-long obsession to catch fish. During my time as a school teacher at a couple of different schools I started ''fishing clubs''. sunglasses for sale , These club activities expanded out of all proportions and expectations and gradually involved parents, inter-school matches and overseas trips with the kids. During this time I met my current ''fishing friend'' Keith and we organised various fishing matches and expeditions in the UK and in Europe run jointly between our schools.
These days our school employments are in the past. Keith and myself keep in touch and once or twice during the year we still meet up to embark on some joint fishing venture. nba jerseys , We mainly go coarse fishing in lakes and rivers and put the fish back to fight another day. For those not familiar with coarse fish, a basic list of the main species we catch follows. In no particular order, the list includes carp, crucian carp, roach, rudd, tench, bream, barbel, chub, dace, perch, pike, zander, catfish and eels.
Keith and I over the years have fished all over the UK. We have also fished literally in snow-drifts and freezing temperatures, howling wind and searing heat. Our expeditions have taken us to Ireland, France, Holland and Spain. Keith has had some outstanding catches including catfish to 143 pounds and carp over 30 pounds. A few of my own best fish to date include a carp of 25 pounds from a private farm pond in Essex, a 20 pound pike from the river Thames at Marlow and a 25 pound pike from the river Chelmer in Chelmsford. jerseys nba , I have also landed good-sized perch, chub, barbel and tench. jerseys basketball ,
I am now thinking ahead to future fishing trips. I have started to become interested in sea fishing and going out on charter boats. basketball jerseys , I have caught a few cod and skate off Bradwell in Essex and would like to go out to sea more often. On my first-ever boat-trip from Looe in Cornwall I landed a 25 pound conger eel having initially thought that I had hooked a boulder or snag on the sea floor. I have also been fascinated watching huge exotic fish being caught on television programmes like billfish, marlin, sailfish, sharks, tuna and grouper. I would love to go ''sport fishing'' in Florida Keys, the Maldives, Kenya, Madagascar or Mexico. There are also huge freshwater fish to be caught in Thailand while India has the legendary mahseer.
It is of course not possible to be outdoors fishing all the time. Daily life routines and responsibilities continue and bills must be paid. Poor out of doors weather conditions can be very off-putting so inevitably a lot of time is spent at home. When I have time to fill I turn my attention to social media on the computer. oakley sunglasses , I am not a 'geek' and have little knowledge of technical computer operations or jargon. The social media are well-known and with a little practice the main activities can be mastered. They make a great way of staying in touch with old friends and finding new ones. New friends and followers can be made in far-away countries in which a few years ago it would have been impossible to get to know people, except perhaps as 'pen-friends'. The social media can also lead to finding long-lost school and other friends and allow contact with family that may be living overseas. In my own case I have taken to making my own videos which can be challenging and exciting. I do limit my time online as some friends have become ''addicted'' and perhaps spend more time online than is healthy.
Spending time on the computer in modern times can definitely classed as a recreational activity. Besides using the social media mentioned, there are numerous other activities available. Videos can be watched and emails sent for instant communication. Browsing allows searches to be done with links to relevant websites. Research can be undertaken and in my own case I have learned a lot about UFO (Unidentified Flying Object) history and theories, another area of my own recreational interest. These days it is becoming increasingly common to ''window-shop'' and buy online and recreational shopping can now be done without leaving home. The computer opens up many new areas of recreation as there are so many aspects to its use.
As for myself, I like a degree of physical involvement in my recreational activities. I enjoy watching and listening to sports and I also like to get outdoors in the fresh air to follow my own interests. When the need arises I go online and keep myself occupied.
.
没有评论:
发表评论